Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Worst "Song"... ever?



Just a day after announcing the best song of 2010, it pains me to focus on the worst. The first time I heard this song, I was certain that I would never have to hear it again. I figured it would get one shot at radio airplay, the DJ would immediately realize it was unfit for aural consumption, and toss the demo in the trash.

"Blowin’ Money Fast" by Rick Ross is not a song. I get so angry just thinking about it that I'm tempted to just let readers listen to it themselves. But since you are already suffering through my blog, I can't be so heartless as to recommend that you endure any further torture.

It is my duty, therefore, to raise awareness of this terrible waste of four minutes so that the powers that be can rip the track from circulation and make sure it is never heard again.

The casualty who heard the noise from my passenger seat may have summed it up best:
“The lyrics are bad. There's no beat. He's basically just talking. There's no singing or rapping. I can't think of any reason why you would want to hear it. It won't pump you up or put you in a good mood. You can't dance to it. It has no redeeming qualities."

The refrain goes as follows:
I think I'm Big Meech Larry Hoover, whipping work, halleluiah,
One nation under god, real n****s getting money from the f***ing start.
I think I'm Big Meech Larry Hoover, whipping work, hallelujah,
One nation under god, real n****s getting money from the f***ing start
.

Ross, whose real name is William Leonard Roberts II, faces a ten million dollar lawsuit for stealing the name from convicted felon, “Freeway” Rick Ross. Roberts seems to have a strange obsession with convicts.

Larry Hoover is a convicted murderer serving a 150-200 year sentence in prison, where he has continued to give orders as leader of the Gangster Disciples gang since 1974. Demetrius "Big Meech" Flenory began his rise in crime by selling $50 bags of crack cocaine on the streets of Southwest Detroit and eventually founded the Black Mafia Family drug cartel before his nationwide drug trafficking won him a 30-year prison sentence.

The song’s title, “Blowin’ Money Fast” or “B.M.F.” is likely a nod to the Black Mafia Family. If you search the lyrics to the song online, the first two results yield the following lyrics:
Stunt so hard make them come and night [sic] me
I think im [sic] big miche[sic] look at my time peace[sic].


Despite the fact that one of the lyrics is probably, “make them come indict me” this is a frightening representation of Roberts’ audience. Whoever posted those lyrics should be just as ashamed of their illiteracy as of their taste in music. No wonder these kids have no interest in learning how to spell when their music teaches them to idolize murderers and drug dealers. Now, I’m not about to call Tipper Gore and stir up the Parents Music Resource Center. After all, Tipper has her own problems at the moment.

Every new wave of music is sure to offend hypocritical, out-of-touch parents who swear music of their generation was completely innocent compared to the filth they hear today. For the most part, these claims are bogus. But to be honest, the FCC is pretty lenient with our generation considering that Elvis the pelvis’ dancing was once too suggestive, the Beatles made too many drug references and the Rolling Stones request to spend the night together was once too explicit.

I’m not too big on censorship of any kind. I remember when my Jay-Z Vol. 2… Hard Knock Life was condemned by parents for its explicit content, but I was permitted to keep it with the understanding that those lyrics and lifestyles shouldn’t be emulated. I’m not going to make excuses for Ross’s audience and suggest that other kids might not know any better. All consumers of music should be responsible enough to use discretion when taking in lyrics. But Roberts’ should also be held accountable for his lyrics.

I can’t think of many songs with lines as explicit as, “Cocaine running in my big vain.” The chorus, if that’s what he wants to call it, is both sacrilegious and treasonous. I’m sure this may seem a little hyperbolic. But how can Roberts justify praising god with a “hallelujah” while glorifying drug dealers and murderers? And to what nation is he pledging allegiance when he promotes this anarchy? People like Roberts who promote violence and glorify the gangster lifestyle may not be solely responsible for the decay of our cities, but they certainly aren't helping matters.

The didactic message and failed rhythmic composition seem to be in competition with each other as each aspect sinks to lower levels. Alone they are both terrible. Together, they make for the worst track of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment